Fiction editing services
Manuscript evaluation fees range from €450 to €675 depending on the length and complexity of the manuscript.
Author submission package
Fees range from €250 to €375 for each submission package depending on total word count.
Structural editing, copy-editing and proofreading
No two manuscripts are the same and editing speeds vary depending on the type of manuscript, the type of editing involved and the level of editorial input required by each individual manuscript.
Because there are so many variables involved, I will need to see a sample of your manuscript and talk to you about your publishing goals before preparing an accurate fees quote for your manuscript.
Each editing project is individually priced. However, the following fee ranges may be useful as general guidelines when planning your editing budget:
- Structural editing—from €12 to €30 per 1,000 words
- Copy-editing—from €15 to €30 per 1,000 words
- Proofreading—from €6 to €15 per 1,000 words
Developmental editing, mentoring and ghostwriting
These services are individually priced based on an author’s needs/requirements, the type and time frame of the project. As a rough guide, prices range from €40 to €65 per hour.
Discounts and editing package deals
Professional editing is a big investment for an author. But it’s worth remembering that the value of a professional edit lies not only in the edited manuscript returned to you, but also in what you learn from the editing process—improved skills and increased confidence in your craft which you can take with you into your next project.
Still, budgeting for editing can be tough and I understand that. Which is why I am happy to look at ways of getting you the editing you need to suit your budget. This includes instalment arrangements, discounts and package deals for repeat work and/or multiple projects or services booked together.
You will need to pay a deposit at the time of booking to secure your editing slot once project details have been agreed between us. Please note that this deposit may be non-refundable where a project is delayed and/or postponed and/or cancelled by you for convenience. Please also note that agent submission package and manuscript evaluations fees are payable in full in advance.
I offer sample edits to help you decide if Book Nanny is the right editor for you:
- Structural edit—max. 1,500 words
- Copy-edit—max. 850 words
- Ghostwriting—max. 2,000 words
Here are some of the criteria I take into account when preparing a quote:
- The length (word count) of the manuscript
- The type of manuscript—fiction or non-fiction
- The type of editing—developmental, structural, copy-editing or proofreading or a combination of edit types
- The level of editing input necessary to bring an individual manuscript up to general publishing standards—is it well-written and clean or are there many errors in it?
- Has a manuscript been structurally edited before it comes for copy-editing or proofreading?
- Does the manuscript require substantive editing?
- The format of the finished book—is it a plain format novel or a non-fiction book with lots of illustrations?
- How many passes of editing the manuscript needs. Most self-published books require at least one round of each type of editing, some will need more than one developmental or structural pass and more than one proofread
You can help to keep editing costs in the lower fees ranges by self-editing your manuscript thoroughly before submitting it for editing.