Fiction editing services
Manuscript assessment fees for fiction up to 120,000 words range from €600 to €1,100 depending on the length and complexity of the manuscript. Fees for fiction with a word count over 120,000 words available on request.
Structural editing, copy-editing and proofreading
No two manuscripts are the same and editing speeds vary depending on the type of manuscript, the type of editing involved and the level of editorial input required by each individual manuscript.
Because there are so many variables involved, I will need to see your full manuscript and talk to you about your publishing goals before preparing an accurate fees quote for your manuscript.
Each editing project is individually priced. However, the following fee ranges may be useful as general guidelines when planning your editing budget:
- Structural editing—from €13 to €30 per 1,000 words
- Copy-editing—from €13 to €30 per 1,000 words
- Proofreading—from €6 to €15 per 1,000 word
Discounts and editing package deals
Professional editing is a big investment for an author. But it’s worth remembering that the value of a professional edit lies not only in the edited manuscript returned to you, but also in what you learn from the editing process—improved skills and increased confidence in your craft which you can take with you into your next project.
Still, budgeting for editing can be tough and I understand that. Which is why I am happy to look at ways of getting you the editing you need to suit your budget. This includes instalment arrangements, discounts and package deals for repeat work and/or multiple projects or services booked together. For more details on any of these options, please contact me using the form on the Contact Book Nanny page.
Payment in advance
You will need to pay a percentage of fees in advance at the time of booking to secure your editing slot once project details have been agreed between us. Please note that this advance may be non-refundable where a project is delayed and/or postponed and/or cancelled by you for convenience. Please also note that agent submission package and manuscript assessment fees are payable in full in advance.
I offer a free sample line/copy-edit of maximum 500 words to help you decide if Book Nanny is the right editor for you. To do this, I will choose a section of text from your manuscript which allows me to best show you how I can help you as an editor.
Here are some of the criteria I take into account when preparing a quote:
- The length (word count) of the manuscript
- The type of manuscript—fiction or non-fiction and/or genre
- The type of editing—developmental, structural, copy-editing or proofreading or a combination of edit types
- The level of editing input necessary to bring an individual manuscript up to general publishing standards—is it well-written and clean or are there many errors in it?
- Has a manuscript been structurally edited before it comes for copy-editing or proofreading?
- Does the manuscript require substantive editing or rewriting?
- The format of the finished book—is it a plain format novel or a non-fiction book with lots of illustrations?
- How many passes of editing the manuscript needs. Most self-published books require at least one round of each type of editing, some will need more than one developmental or structural pass and more than one proofread
You can help to keep editing costs in the lower fees ranges by self-editing your manuscript thoroughly before submitting it for editing.
I have a large number of repeat publisher and indie author clients and, as a result, my editing schedule books out months in advance (usually 3 to 4 months, sometimes more). If you think I might be the right editor for you, please contact me as early as possible when planning your publishing schedule to check my availability and book in your project.